With the day-old summer season already sizzling the region, Greenwich residents can find respite from the oppresive heat and humidity in cooling centers that are open around town.
A heat advisory remains in effect until 7 p.m. with heat index values around 100 degrees. Air quality alert in effect from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m., Thursday, according to the Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection, which said air quality is unhealthy for sensitive groups.
A heat advisory is issued when the combination of heat and humidity is expected to make it feel like it is 100 to 104 degrees for two consecutive hours.
The heat prompted officials to relocate Thursday morning's 'moving up' ceremony for Eastern Middle School eighth-graders to the Greenwich High School auditorium. The EMS auditorium is not air conditioned.
According to Greenwich Emergency Management Director Daniel Warzoha, the town's libraries, the and the Public Safety Complex are open as cooling centers.
Where to go:
- , 101 W. Putnam Ave.: 9 a.m. - 9 p.m.
- , 21 Mead Ave.: noon - 8 p.m.
- , 5 Sinawoy Rd.:
- , 90 Sound Beach Ave.: 9 - 8 p.m.
- Greenwich Senior/Arts Center, 299 Greenwich Ave.: 9 a.m. - 4 p.m.
- Greenwich Police Dept.: 11 Bruce Pl.: 9 a.m. - 11 p.m.
Here's the National Weather Service forecast for the rest of the week:
- Today: Sunny and hot, with a high near 97. Northwest wind around 11 mph.
- Tonight: Partly cloudy, with a low around 72. West wind around 6 mph becoming calm.
- Friday: A chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly after 10am. Some of the storms could produce gusty winds and heavy rain. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 92. West wind between 5 and 7 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.
- Friday Night: Showers and thunderstorms likely, mainly before midnight. Some of the storms could produce gusty winds and heavy rain. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 67. North wind around 6 mph becoming calm. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.
- Saturday: A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms before noon. Mostly sunny, with a high near 86. Northwest wind around 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
- Saturday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 64.
- Sunday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 84.
- Sunday Night: A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 65. Chance of precipitation is 40%.
Tell us about your best practices for beating the heat in the comments section.