Updated, 3:20 p.m., Dec. 29:
The snow that began about 11 a.m. in Greenwich, leaving about an inch on the ground, is turning to rain and sleet.
Many local roads are covered with snow and where Greenwich Public Works crews have salted, the roads are wet. From Byram to Old Greenwich, many streets are snow-covered.
On the Connecticut Turnpike along the coastline there is slush along the road shoulders and visibility is limited. Traffic is moving along between 40 and 50 mph.
Greenwich Police are investigating some accidents resulting from the snowy conditions.
As temperatures drop through the evening, expect conditions to become icy. So take the driving slow.
Get your shovels, sand and sleds ready because forecasts are calling for anywhere between two to six inches of snow this Saturday.
As a storm approaches, the National Weather Service has issued a winter weather advisory for Greenwich and much of the state. The advisory is effective from 8 a.m. Saturday until 6 a.m. Dec. 30.
On Saturday, snow is expected mainly after 10 a.m., with high temperatures near 35. Calm wind will blow out of the north at 5 to 7 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.
A winter weather advisory means that periods of snow, sleet or freezing rain will cause travel difficulties and drivers should be prepared for slippery roads and limited visibility, according to the weather service.
Here's the extended Greenwich forecast:
- Saturday Night: Snow likely, mainly before midnight. Cloudy, with a low around 26. North wind 10 to 13 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.
- Sunday: Partly sunny, with a high near 34. Breezy, with a northwest wind 15 to 23 mph.
- Sunday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 21. Northwest wind 9 to 17 mph.
- Monday: Partly sunny, with a high near 34.
- Monday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 25.
- New Year's Day: Mostly cloudy, with a high near 32.
- Tuesday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 15.
- Wednesday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 28.
If you're out enjoying the snow — on a walk, sledding with the kids — or even just from the comforts of your nice cozy house, snap a pic and share it with your Greenwich neighbors in the Greenwich Patch Pics & Clips gallery.