Don't let the mid-afternoon sunny respite shining over Greenwich fool you.
The National Weather Service says there's an 80 percent that drenching thunderstorms will envelope the region tonight, into Saturday morning. And there are more showers expected into Saturday afternoon.
Channel 7 meteorologist Bill Evans predicts in , "the bulk of the heavy rainfall in areas located close to the I-95 corridor, through Fairfield County, Port Chester, Greenwich, Stamford, Westport, to New Haven and along the coast will be occurring this afternoon and tonight ... In any of the hardest downpours, rainfall could occur a rate of more than an inch per hour."
The rain in Greenwich began just about noon and by 1:30 there were rain-driven wind gusts pelting the . At low tide, rainwater runoff was spilling into the harbor from storm drains. (Please see accompanying video.)
And given the forecast and the damage caused earlier this week by downed trees and limbs——First Selectman Peter Tesei called a meeting of town department heads to review emergency response plans.
Here is the National Weather Service's forecast for Greenwich:
- Tonight: Occasional showers and thunderstorms. Some of the storms could produce heavy rain. Patchy fog after 1am. Low around 70. Southeast wind 5 to 7 mph becoming southwest after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New rainfall amounts between a half and three quarters of an inch possible.
- Saturday: Showers and thunderstorms likely before 7am, then showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm after 7am. Patchy fog before 9am. Otherwise, cloudy, with a high near 84. South wind 6 to 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.
- Saturday Night: A chance of showers and thunderstorms before 1am, then a slight chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 67. South wind 5 to 9 mph becoming calm after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 50%. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.
- Sunday: Partly sunny, with a high near 85. Calm wind becoming southwest 5 to 9 mph in the afternoon.
- Sunday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 64.
- Monday: Sunny, with a high near 84.
- Monday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 66.