Labor Day is held on the first Monday in September each year.
Unofficially the last day of summer, the holiday, according to the U.S. Department of Labor, "constitutes a yearly national tribute to the contributions workers have made to the strength, prosperity, and well-being of our country."
On Friday the Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicles will close at 12:30 p.m. and not reopen until 7:45 a.m. Tuesday, Sept. 3.
Here's the list of what is open and closed on Labor Day, Monday, Sept. 3:
- Restaurants, generally, unless they're normally closed on Mondays
- Grocery stores
- Other businesses: open at the owner’s discretion.
- Call ahead before heading to any of the above establishments to confirm they are open. Many retail stores or gyms/health clubs may be operating on a Sunday schedule or with limited hours.
- Banks have the option of remaining open in Connecticut, but hardly any do, and even TDBanks are closed.
- The Perrot Memorial, Greenwich, Byram Shubert and Cos Cob libraries will close at 5 p.m. Friday and reopen Tuesday, Sept. 3.
- Financial markets, such as the New York Stock Exchange
- Post offices
- Greenwich Town Hall and the Greenwich Board of Education will be closed Labor Day.
- State offices, including the state Department of Motor Vehicles(which "will will close Friday, Aug. 30, at 12:30 p.m. and will reopen Tuesday, Sept. 3, at 7:45 a.m.").
- U.S. government offices.
- CT Transit commuter bus service (but see below)
- Metro-North Railroad's Grand Central north entrances will be closed.
- YWCA of Greenwich will reopen Tuesday, Sept. 3. Administrative offices and the Member Services Desk will remain open for fall program registrations. YWCA memberships will be honored by the YMCA the week of Aug. 26.
- YMCA Greenwich regular hours. It will open at the regular time Monday, Sept. 2 (5:15 a.m.) and close at 1:30 p.m.
- Norwalk Transit District buses (but not the Stamford-Norwalk bus along the Post Road in Darien -- that's operated by Connecticut Transit and runs on a Sunday schedule on Labor Day).
- Metro-North will operate on a Sunday schedule.