You're time-pressed enough, so we're happy to do the research and find the best things to do and places to go, both locally and within reasonable striking distance.
Look for the kids’ planner each week, and help us build the planner with your own suggestions and tips — just add them to the comment box.
Family Best Bets
iCreate! Teen Art
- When: Weekly on Saturdays, Sundays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays; , 1 Museum Dr, Greenwich, CT.
Why Go: On view in the Museum's Bantle Lecture Gallery, the show consists of a juried selection of two-dimensional pieces including paintings, drawings, mixed media, and hand-drawn or hand-painted digital works.
This year more than 100 students submitted more than 225 entries from throughout Fairfield and Westchester counties!
The student work represents Connecticut high schools including Greenwich High School, Greenwich Academy, Brunswick School, and Convent of the Sacred Heart, all in Greenwich; plus Darien High School, Weston High School, New Fairfield High School, Norwalk High School, Stamford High School, Staples High School in Westport, West Hill in Stamford, and Amity Regional Senior High School in Woodbridge. Students in New York represented Ardsley High School, Hackley School in Tarrytown, Fox Lane High School in Bedford, Horace Greeley High School in Chappaqua, Hendrick Hudson High School in Montrose, Mamaroneck High School, Port Chester High School, and Valhalla High School.
An independent three-member jury judged the work and Youth@Bruce awarded cash prizes of $500, $250, and $100 (2) for the top four entries. The original art of the top 40 winning entries will be mounted in the Museum’s Bantle Lecture Gallery. Digital images of all the artists’ entries will be shown in a slide-show, together with local high school students recorded music, presented on an iPad framed and mounted in the gallery.
Pricing: Museum Admission: Adults $7; Students and Seniors $6; Members and children under 5 Free; Free individual admission on Tuesday.
- FILM: "ANWR: America’s Wildest Refuge" - 613 Riversville Rd., Greenwich; (203)-869-5272
When: Friday, June 17; 6 - 9 p.m. - Reception: 6 p.m. and Film: 7:30 p.m.
- Why Go: All ages welcome! Wonderful Film! Tucked into a remote corner of Alaska, the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge (ANWR) is a place where the American frontier can be experienced on an epic scale. See this new high-definition film about its wildlife and its founding 50 years ago.
- Pricing: RSVP to the Jeff at the Audubon ext. 239; $10 per Adult, Children are free.
- 10 N. Water St., Norwalk, CT 06854( 203) 852-9700
- When: Saturday, June 18; 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Why Go: Opening of the dinosaur triple play that includes an interactive dinosaure exihibit, appearances throughout the day by Dora the Explorer, the IMAX movie “T-Rex: Back to the Cretaceous” (showing daily May 26-Sept. 5) and the simulator ride-film “Dino Island II: Escape from Dinosaur Island” (runs every 10 minutes beginning June 18.)
- Pricing: Various packages available; Click here for pricing.
-38 W. End Ave., Old Greenwich, CT; (203) 637-3669 - Strawberry Social
- When: Saturday, June 18; 1 to 4 p.m.
- Why Go: There will be free crafts, games, face painting, and other activities for children. The party is an opportunity to visit with neighbors and friends. To be held rain or shine. For information, call the church office at (203) 637-3669.
- Pricing: Tickets are $7 and INCLUDES fresh strawberry shortcake with vanilla ice cream served over pound cake - YUM!
Take the "Dad" in your life to the beach!
- When: Anytime!
- Why Go: The Town of Greenwich has beautiful beaches: (open 6 a.m. - sunset daily), (ferry runs 10 a.m. - 6 or 7 p.m., depending on weekday or weekend), and (open 8 a.m. to sunset daily.)
- Pricing: Town residents need a beach card and vehicle permits from May 1 through October 31. Click here for more information.