Firefighters wearing pink is not something you usually see. But, in October 2013 the Greenwich Firefighters will proudly swap their regular department shirts for blue and pink ones. They’re not wearing pink just to be stylish, they’re wearing pink in support of the fight against breast cancer, and according to a release, the community is encouraged to take part.
The Greenwich Firefighters will sport their blue shirts as well as and sell both blue and pink t-shirts during their “Proud to Wear Pink” campaign, which is also during National Breast Cancer Awareness Month in October.
“The Greenwich Fire Department recognizes that breast cancer affects many women in our community,” said firefighter Tom Pitasi in the release. “Recently some of the members’ spouses have been affected by the disease making the cause even more personal to the department.”
On Sept. 28, 2013 at the Greenwich Senior Center on Greenwich Ave, the department will kick off its campaign by selling pink t-shirts and taking donations to help support breast cancer research, awareness, education and treatment in the state of Connecticut.
Proceeds will benefit the Connecticut Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure and the Breast Center at Greenwich Hospital. Benefited organizations and the firefighters will also be on hand at the event to provide information about breast cancer.
“While monetary donations are vital to the breast cancer fight, education and information is equally important” said Pitasi. “As there is currently no cure for breast cancer, early detection is the best way to help save lives. We want to ensure that women have access to the information they need.”
Connecticut has the second highest incidence of breast cancer in the United States. Each year more than 3,000 women in the state are diagnosed with breast cancer. Several towns within Fairfield County are among those with the highest rates of breast cancer incidence, mortality and late stage diagnosis.
Komen Connecticut invests 75 percent of the net proceeds from community fundraisers locally, in education, screening and treatment programs for Connecticut women, according to the release. The other 25 percent supports national research initiatives to help find the cure.
For additional information about “Proud to Wear Pink” or to purchase a t-shirt supporting breast cancer visit GreenwichFire.org/Pink.