.

Heating Unit Burn-out Causes Greenwich Town Hall Evacuation

Greenwich Fire Department. Photo credit: Barbara Heins.
Greenwich Fire Department. Photo credit: Barbara Heins.

Greenwich Town Hall was evacuated Thursday when the motor of an electrical wall heater in a third-floor office overheated, creating some smoke that set off the building's fire alarm.

A full complement of Greenwich Fire Department units responded at 11:30 a.m. Firefighters found that the cause of the smoke was an overheated wall heater in the third-floor Department of Social Services offices, according to Deputy Greenwich Fire Chief Tom Nixon. There wasn't any fire, Nixon said.

"We cleared the scene in about 20 minutes," Nixon said.

The alarm disrupted an executive session meeting of the Board of Selectmen that followed their regularly scheduled meeting.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »