The cause of the fire that heavily damaged a two-family home in Byram early Sunday has been ruled accidental by the Greenwich Fire Marshal.
Fire Marshal James McDonald said, "We’re comfortable in ruling that it was accidental but we're not 100 percent sure yet what the specific cause was. We were able to establish the point of origin."
The fire, reported shortly before 4 a.m. Nov. 3, "started in the first-floor living room, where the couch was," McDonald said. The two residents were alerted to the fire by a neighbor who banged on the front door and escaped unharmed.
When firefighters arrived, there flames pouring from the first-floor windows and front door. Firefighters were able to find a pet dog on the second-floor and despite efforts from rescuers and Greenwich Emergency Medical Service, the dog died of smoke inhalation, according to Deputy Fire Chief Tom Nixon.
On Monday, McDonald said whether the house had working smoke detectors "is still a gray area. Smoke detectors were in there but it's not 100 percent sure whether they were all working."
McDonald said the investigation should be completed by week's end.