Greenwich Public Schools Eases Residency Requirement

Landlords no longer required to submit notarized affidavits confirming residency.


Superintendent of Schools Dr. William McKersie has announced the modification to Residency Verification requirements, eliminating the need for a notarized affidavit from a resident's landlord.

Earlier this year, the requirement that residency documentation be , as reported by Greenwich Patch, and apparently created more angst for parents and landlords.

Here is the statement and explanation released by McKersie on Friday:

"In January 2012, as part of a comprehensive review of residency verification requirements, a series of changes were made to the process to develop a more effective system. As with any new process it is important to review how well the steps work in the actual implementation. As a result of this review, District administration has determined that a notarized Landlord Affidavit will no longer be required, effective immediately.

"Dr. McKersie said, “We are confident that we have maintained an effective process for verifying residency in Greenwich while eliminating a potentially undue burden of paperwork for families.”

"While the Landlord Affidavit will no longer be required, the following items continue to be required as proof of residency:

Residency Verification Fast Facts:
Connecticut General Statue and Board of Education Policy requires students who are enrolled in the Greenwich Public Schools to be residents of the Town of Greenwich.

Prior to registering a child in a Greenwich Public School, parents are required to provide proof of residency in the Town of Greenwich.

Residency verification is required of all students enrolled and new to Greenwich Public School System, including all students entering Kindergarten and transitioning from 8th to 9th grade. Acceptable proof of residency includes:

Photo Identification: driver’s license, passport, or Connecticut issued identification card

Notarized Affidavit of Parent/Guardianship or Notarized Sponsor Affidavit Form

For Homeowners: a property tax bill, mortgage statement, or ownership deed.

For Leasing or Rental Properties: current lease/rental agreement signed by the landlord with landlords contact phone number.

Two Current Utility Bills: cable television, water, electric, gas or oil, no telephone. All documents must be in the same name and to the same address. If this documentation is not available and the parent is a resident of the Town of Greenwich, the residency verification office will assist the parent/guardian in establishing residency.

Once residency is established, the parent completes the registration process at their neighborhood or magnet school.

Forms and information is available on the District website: http://www.greenwichschools.org/page.cfm?p=81


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »