Update: 2 p.m.:
The snow storm that left the area covered with two inches of heavy, wet snow has forced the cancellation of two events this evening — a health forum with the Greenwich legislative delegation and an open house at Western Middle School for prospective students.
State Representatives Livvy Floren (R-149), Stephen Walko (R-150), and Fred Camillo (R-151) and Sen. Scott Frantz (R-36) were scheduled to host an informational healthcare forum discussing the state's health insurance requirements and marketplace, at 7 p.m. today at Greenwich Town Hall. A new date has not been announced.
Greenwich Public Schools has rescheduled tonight's open house for prospective students and their families at Western Middle School to 7 p.m. next Monday, Feb. 24, according to the school district. The open house and informational sessions, which also will be held at 10 a.m., Thursday, Feb. 20, is for families interested in entering students in the International Baccalaureate magnet school program that will be partially implemented in the 2014-15 school year.
In addition to the Western Middle School magnet program, applications are available for the district's other magnet schools — Hamilton Avenue, The International School at Dundee and Julian Curtiss schools. Feb. 28 is the deadline for all magnet school applications.
Original story: 5:57 a.m.
All public and private schools in Greenwich are closed Tuesday as another weather front is expected to bring at least 2 to four inches of snow to the region.
The cancellation of classes is the fifth snow day for Greenwich schools so far this academic year. Further closures this year will impact the school calendar.
In the meantime, roads are covered with a light dusting of snow, including the Connecticut Turnpike. The National Weather Service has issued a winter storm advisory through 6 p.m. Tuesday.
Here is the latest National Weather Service forecast:
- Today: Rain and snow before 2pm, then a chance of rain between 2pm and 4pm. High near 38. Southeast wind 7 to 14 mph becoming west in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 90%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.
- Tonight: Partly cloudy, with a low around 24. West wind 8 to 13 mph becoming light and variable.
- Wednesday: A chance of rain, mainly between 9am and 3pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 44. Southeast wind 5 to 10 mph becoming west in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 40%.
- Wednesday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 27. West wind 7 to 11 mph.
- Thursday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 46. West wind around 7 mph becoming south in the afternoon.
- Thursday Night: Rain likely, mainly after midnight. Patchy fog. Otherwise, cloudy, with a low around 39. Chance of precipitation is 60%.
- Friday: Showers likely. Patchy fog. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a high near 52. Chance of precipitation is 70%.
- Friday Night: A chance of showers. Partly cloudy, with a low around 30. Chance of precipitation is 30%.