The additional snowfall overnight has forced cancellation of Friday classes at the Whitby School.
All other private and public schools in Greenwich already were closed because of mid-winter and Presidents Day recesses. All libraries in Greenwich will open at 11 a.m. Friday. The Greenwich YWCA plans to open at 11 a.m.
And according to the National Weather Service, we can expect more snow over the weekend.
Here is the announcement from Head of School Bryan Nixon:
"Despite our best efforts to remain open, we are unable to do so due to the additional snow fall and the road conditions. We wanted to try to be in school today, especially as it was Valentine's Day, but we are again concerned for the safe passage of all too and from school. The Parents As Partners Workshop on "Supporting Early Literacy" is also canceled and will be rescheduled at a later date.
During the day, parents will receive additional suggestions from their child's teachers to ensure that we provide learning activities even though we cannot be physically present at school.
School will reopen on Wednesday, February 19, after President's Day and the school's scheduled Professional Development day on February 18.
In addition, our educational program will now run until June 18, 2014, as we will use all the remaining contingency days we have placed within the school calendar."Here is the National Weather Service forecast for President's Day Weekend:
- Today: Mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming sunny, with a high near 39. Breezy, with a west wind 20 to 25 mph, with gusts as high as 37 mph.
- Tonight: A slight chance of snow after 4am. Increasing clouds, with a low around 25. West wind 8 to 13 mph becoming light after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
- Saturday: Snow likely, mainly between 9am and noon. Cloudy, with a high near 34. North wind 5 to 14 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.
- Saturday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 14. Northwest wind 15 to 17 mph.
- Sunday: A slight chance of snow after noon. Partly sunny, with a high near 27. West wind 11 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
- Sunday Night: Mostly cloudy during the early evening, then gradual clearing, with a low around 8.
- Monday: Increasing clouds, with a high near 31.
- Monday Night: A chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 23. Chance of precipitation is 50%.