First County Bank Foundation has awarded a total of $28,000 in grants to five nonprofits in Greenwich for innovative programs promoting literacy, human services, emergency shelter, and counseling and nutrition for individuals and families in Greenwich.
Of the $28,000, $2,500 was a CommunityFirst Grant, awarded to the YWCA for its Emergency Shelter Program. This grant, along with the others, supports the Foundation's commitment to nonprofit organizations that encourage community and economic development, or assist children and families of lower Fairfield County.
“We believe these causes play a vital role in learning and enriching our communities,” said Rey Giallongo, president of the First County Bank Foundation and chairman and CEO of First County Bank, in a prepared statement. “The First County Bank Foundation is proud to support these organizations that have demonstrated leadership, creativity and innovation in helping the people of Greenwich.”
Since its inception in 2001, the First County Bank Foundation has awarded over 760 individual grants, worth $5.8 million.
The following Greenwich-based nonprofits received First County Bank Foundation grants:
- Greenwich Alliance for Education: $5,000 for Going Places with Books, a bilingual early literacy program targeting preschoolers delivered via its Storymobile RV.
- Jewish Family Services of Greenwich: $3,000 for Supermarketing for Seniors, a grocery shopping and case management program for elderly Greenwich residents who want to remain in their own homes but need help to shop.
- Kids in Crisis: $15,000 for Safe Haven for Kids Shelter program provides emergency residential shelter for children from birth to 17 years old.
- United Way: $2,500 for grant money is being used for Greenwich-based programs.
- YWCA: $2,500 for its Emergency Shelter Program.
Established in 2001 in honor of the bank’s 150th anniversary, the First County Bank Foundation was created to distribute funds annually to nonprofit organizations that support community and economic development for children and families.
To be eligible for First County Bank Foundation grants, organizations must have nonprofit tax exempt status under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code; be located in Stamford, Darien, Greenwich, New Canaan, Norwalk or Westport; have community support; address community needs; have measurable outcomes; and demonstrate fiscal and administrative responsibility.