The National Weather Service has extended its hazardous weather advisory for bone-numbing, frost-bite causing weather until 8 a.m. Wednesday, Jan. 8.
At 6 p.m. tuesday, the NWS issued an updated advisory stating that the entire Tri-state region will have "bitter wind chills."
Winds are predicted to remain blowing 10 to 20 mph with gusts up to 30 mph. With temperatures of 5 to 12 degrees, the winds will make it feel like 8 to 15 degrees below zero.
Prolonged exposure to the bitter cold and wind could lead to frostbite and hypothermia. Be sure to wear a hat and gloves and cover all extremities to prevent frostbite.
But frostbite won't be what you'd be feeling if you were in Nome, Alaska. According to the National Weather Service, Tuesday night low temperatures will be about 24 degrees and Wednesday's high temps will hit about 28 degrees with snow. But if you're fortunate enough to be in the neighborhoods of Waikiki, HI, you'll be basking under cloudy, if not rainy skies with temperatures near 80.
But back to reality here in Fairfield County.
Even though Greenwich Police Lt. Robert Berry said that Greenwich hasn't had any reports of power outages or downed lines, the NWS advises that if you need to use a power generator, make sure they are well ventilated.
The NWS also urges motorists to check the antifreeze in their automobile and to use space heaters safely.
Here is the latest forecast from the National Weather Service:
- Tonight: Mostly clear, with a low around 5. Wind chill values as low as -12. Breezy, with a west wind 13 to 21 mph, with gusts as high as 38 mph.
- Wednesday: Sunny, with a high near 20. Wind chill values as low as -7. West wind 9 to 11 mph.
- Wednesday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 15. West wind around 7 mph.
- Thursday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 30. West wind around 7 mph becoming north in the afternoon.
- Thursday Night: A slight chance of snow after midnight. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 22. Light east wind. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
- Friday: A slight chance of snow before noon. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 42. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
- Friday Night: A slight chance of rain before midnight, then a chance of rain and snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 34. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
- Saturday: Rain and snow likely. Cloudy, with a high near 50. Chance of precipitation is 60%.
- Saturday Night: A chance of rain. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 39. Chance of precipitation is 40%.