Here's a list which we'll keep updated about what's closing due to the Thursday-Friday snowstorm and what's staying open (but pay attention to the posting times because things may change).
This list will be updated, with update times noted. We'll provide Web links when we can get them, so that you can check yourself (again, decisions to open or close may change as conditions change).
As of now, here's what's open, closed or changing hours (updates will appear at the top of the list):
- The Greenwich YWCA is closed Friday, Jan. 3.
- Sophia's Costumes on Liberty Way also is closed Friday, Jan. 3 because of the weather, according to their post on Facebook.
- Department of Motor Vehicles offices statewide will open at 9:30 a.m. today. Offices are fully operational.
DMV learner's permit knowledge test appointments will begin at 10:15 a.m. today.
DMV has CANCELED ALL ROAD TESTS for today. The cancellation is due to inclement weather and poor road conditions. Anyone with a scheduled road test can call DMV to choose a new date. The numbers to call are 860-263-5700 if someone is within the Hartford area and toll-free 800-842-8222 for those outside the Hartford area. DMV is also attempting to contact customers with road test appointments to advise them of the schedule change.
Customers are advised to check the DMV website at ct.gov/dmv for any updates.
- The YMCA of Greenwich will open at 11 a.m. Friday, according to their 7:50 a.m. tweet.
- Greenwich Adult Day Care's River House will be closed today due to the storm. They will reopen tomorrow, Saturday, Jan. 4, at 8:30 a.m., according the River House's Facebook page.
- Saks Fifth Avenue store in Greenwich will open at noon, Stamford at 1 p.m., according to its tweet at 7:20 a.m.
- The Bruce Museum is closed on Friday, Jan. 3, according to its tweet at 7:20 a.m.
- Greenwich Library has delayed opening until noon Friday and canceled the Friday Night Chess Club and the Friday Night Film programs, according to a posting on the library's website.
- It's a snow day for Greenwich Public Schools on Friday, Jan.3 They're closed, according to announcement posted by the school district Thursday night.
- Greenwich Library closed early today, Thursday, Jan. 2 at 6 pm due to the impending weather. As a preemptive measure, we will cancel (Friday, Jan. 3) evening's programs- the Friday Film and the Friday Night Chess Club. Check back for opening on Friday.
Please check for the status of the Library opening tomorrow.
- Tonight, Thursday, Jan. 2, Metro-North will operate a regular schedule until 8 PM. After 8 PM, we will operate hourly service (making all stops). After midnight, we will operate a schedule with train combinations and cancellations to prevent trains from becoming stranded during the storm. (Email notice at 6:18 p.m. Jan. 2).
- CT Gov. Dannel Malloy has ordered a delayed opening for state offices on Friday, Jan. 3, directing all nonessential state employees to report to work at 9:30 a.m. The delayed opening will allow extra time for transportation crews to clear the roads from tonight’s anticipated snowfall. For further updates, state employees should continue monitoring local media as well as the website of the Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection, where they can locate an “Early Release/Late Openings/Closures” button. (Email alert at 5:38 p.m. Jan. 2).
- If you're driving into New York State, Gov. Andrew Cuomo has declared a statewide snow emergency. Interstate 84 will be closed at 5 p.m., Thursday, Jan. 2. He also ordered the Long Island Expressway (from Queens line to Riverhead) and the New York State Thruway from New York City, north to Albany) all closed at midnight. Anticipated reopening is 5 a.m. Jan. 3, according to a Cuomo tweet at 3:48 p.m.
- The Boys & Girls Club Greenwich is closed Thursday, Jan. 2 and Friday, Jan. 3.
- "Tomorrow [Friday] (1/3/14) all Fairfield University administrative offices will open, and all classes will begin at 10 a.m." says a tweet from the university (added at 3:36 p.m.)
- Stepping Stones Museum for Children in Norwalk tweets: "Due to the storm, we're canceling Get Into It! FREE, scheduled for 5-8p tonight. [Thursday] However, as of now, we plan to keep the museum open until 5" (added 3:10 p.m., Thursday)
- Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicles offices closed at 3 p.m. Thursday, the department announced in an email sent at ... 2:55 p.m. (added 3:07 p.m., Thursday)
- "[T]he Department of Motor Vehicles is cancelling all road tests for tomorrow (Friday, Jan. 3). The cancellation is due to expected inclement weather and poor road conditions. Anyone with a scheduled road test can call DMV to choose a new date. The numbers to call are 860-263-5700 if someone is within the Hartford area and toll-free 800-842-8222 for those outside the Hartford area. DMV is also attempting to contact customers with road test appointments to advise them of the schedule change." (added 2:36 p.m., Thursday)
- Connecticut government offices are closing early on Thursday, some starting at 3 p.m. (added 2:33 p.m., Thursday)
- University of Connecticut, Stamford: "Due to the inclement weather the UCONN Stamford campus will cancel all classes as of 5 pm today, January 2nd. All classes for tomorrow, January 3rd are cancelled as well. The campus will reopen Saturday, January 4th. Please check the UCONN Stamford emergency communication means (home page, UCONN email, text messaging service and emergency phone line 203.251.8524) for updates to this announcement." (added 2:21 p.m., Thursday)
- If you're a juror scheduled to appear in a state courthouse on Friday -- don't. That's according to this tweet from the Connecticut Judicial Branch. (added 1:40 p.m., Thursday)
- Access Health CT "enrollment centers will close at 3pm today (1/2/14) and will be closed on Friday Jan. 3, 2014." -- a tweet from the agency (added 1:36 p.m., Thursday).