During , I was prevented from delivering my nominating remarks. I deserve to be heard and the community deserves to know of the reasons driving my nomination. I have therefore provided my remarks below.
In all of the Board of Education officer elections in which I have voted, I have supported the person I felt was best for the job. Party affiliation has never been a factor in my decisions. In the first two elections the person I voted for happened to be a Republican. I supported him even when members of his own party did not. In the current officer election, I am supporting someone who happens to be a Democrat.
New leadership is required to improve how the Board of Ed operates. Leslie Moriarty is best suited to provide that leadership and serve as our new chair for many reasons:
- Experience: Leslie has served on the Board of Ed for 6 years, she has been Vice Chair for 5, Board Secretary, BET liaison, MISA building committee liaison, PTAC liaison, and more. This institutional knowledge is especially important as we welcome four new Board members.
- Productivity: Leslie knows how to get Board work done through effective use of Board process. She has a deep understanding of policy governance, Board members’ roles and responsibilities, committee work, the budget and importantly, how to hire the right Superintendent.
- Goal Oriented: Leslie is a big picture thinker. It is a challenge in Board work to see the forest through the trees. Leslie stays focused on the most important Board priorities and keeps Board colleagues focused on those priorities as well. She will be effective at forging, communicating, and keeping the Board focused on its strategic vision, goals and work plan.
- A Good Manager: Leslie is a team player and a consensus builder. She will involve all members in the work of the Board. She will make sure new members are adequately mentored, she will insist that the 8 of us work well together. I have been very grateful for, and have personally benefitted from, Leslie’s collaborative work style while serving on the Board with her.
- A Communicator: Leslie builds productive relationships with Board colleagues, school officials and stakeholders throughout town including our Selectmen, the BET, RTM and PTA Council among others. She is a good communicator and will be an effective and visible public face for the Board.
- A Problem Solver: Leslie is thoughtful and thorough and is good at identifying Board issues and crafting their solutions. She will be a proactive leader who will be able to make needed changes.
- Focus on Students: Leslie serves for all the right reasons. She is solely about improving public school education and student achievement - for all students.
It gives me great pleasure to nominate Leslie Moriarty for Chairman of the Board of Education. I hope you join me in my support for Leslie.
Board of Education Member