Good morning Greenwich!
The week is starting off with the Columbus Day holiday — state, local and federal offices are closed, as are libraries and schools. Here's the complete rundown of what's open today.
Saks Fifth Avenue in Greenwich will host an evening of cocktails, glamour and shopping in celebration of The Breast Cancer Research Foundation on Wednesday, Oct. 16 from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. The festive evening will officially kick off Saks Fifth Avenue’s annual Key to the Cure charity shopping weekend to take place Thursday through Sunday, Oct. 17 to 20. During the shopping weekend, 2% sales in Greenwich will be donated to The Breast Cancer Research Foundation.
There are two rounds of debates scheduled this week for the candidates running for town offices. The Greenwich League of Women Voters is hosting the debates.
- Tuesday, Oct. 15: From 7 to 9 p.m., in partnership with the Greenwich Parent Teacher Associations Council (PTAC), a forum for the Board of Education candidates in the Central Middle School auditorium, 9 Indian Rock Ln.
- Wednesday, Oct. 16: From 7 to 7:35 p.m., a debate between Selectmen candidates: Republican incumbent David Theis and Democratic incumbent Drew Marzullo. From 7:40 to 9 p.m., a debate with First Selectman candidates, Republican incumbent Peter Tesei, Democratic challenger Beth Krumeich and Independent challenger James Reilly.
The Old Greenwich Farmer's Market will be open from 3 to 6 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 16 at thePresbyterian Church of Old Greenwich.
Here is the National Weather Service's forecast for weather in Greenwich this week:
- Columbus Day: Mostly sunny, with a high near 66. Calm wind becoming southeast around 5 mph in the afternoon.
- Tonight: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 53. Calm wind.
- Tuesday: Partly sunny, with a high near 71. Light and variable wind becoming southeast around 6 mph in the afternoon.
- Tuesday Night: A slight chance of showers after midnight. Patchy fog after 3am. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a low around 55. East wind around 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
- Wednesday: A slight chance of showers after noon. Patchy fog before 9am. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a high near 70. East wind around 7 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
- Wednesday Night: A chance of showers. Cloudy, with a low around 55. Chance of precipitation is 50%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
- Thursday: A chance of showers before noon. Partly sunny, with a high near 69. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
- Thursday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 49.
- Friday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 66.
- Friday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 46.
- Saturday: Partly sunny, with a high near 66.
- Saturday Night: A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 45. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
Traveling on I-95? Concerned about traffic? Here are links to the Connnecticut Department of Transportation traffic cams (“SB” means southbound; “NB” means northbound):